Monday 21 July 2014

Anemone Japonica

About a week ago these lovely flowers began to open, and although it is great to see that they have survived, I would not expect them to be in full flower is my north facing garden until the middle of August. If I could only choose one flower to grow it would be these. At the back end of the summer when the greens have lost their freshness and lots of the star performers have finished flowering, they are a beacon of light in sun and in dark corners alike. If they are out now, what are we going to be left with going into September. That's nature!!

It is a while since I painted these flowers, I have two examples hanging on the walls in the house, and often forget that I can have another go.
It is interesting to see if my style has slightly changed over the years.




there is not a lot to explain in this painting. I did the drawing first and because they are white flowers, I painted the background to give me their shape. I kept the colours very muted and soft so that the ring of stamens would be the focal point.


                                                                  'Anemone Japonica'
I am quite pleased with the result and it is nice to compare it with others that I have done in the past.
The painting was done on 'Cornwall' 450g matt paper by Hahnamuhle which I think helps the soft quality of the finished painting.

4 comments:

  1. A beautiful painting of a beautiful flower. It is always interesting to compare your own paintings with ones done previously isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chris, welcome. Yes, I think It shows that one is progressing as an artist. My style does not change massively but there are things I notice when I make comparisons. Thank you for the lovely comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another excellent flower painting

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Peter. Glad you like it.

    ReplyDelete