Friday 8 February 2013

Dandelion Heads

This weeks subject for Avon Valley Artists was 'Action, Movement'. There were some lovely paintings of skier,sailing boats and people involved in different sorts of activities. I chose to paint a group of dandelion seed heads, with some of the seeds in flight.

I did the drawing at home and used masking fluid to block out the seeds. I used a drawing pen to get really fine lines, but it did take some time. I did it the previous evening as it takes some time to dry, and it is not good to try to dry it with a hairdryer. I am always a little anxious about doing it the night before, as if its left on too long, it can remove the surface of the paper when you rub it away. Masking fluid also takes off the surface of cheap papers sometimes, so beware!

At AVA I was able to start immediately with the painting, and as usual, I wet the whole sheet, except the seed head itself, and then dropped colour into the wash, and allowed it to dry. I was careful about using the hairdryer as I did not want to affect the masking fluid.

I then painted in the elements of the picture, before removing the masking fluid to reveal all the seeds.
I was quite disappointed at this stage as I thought that the seeds in flight were too big and heavy for the dandelion clocks, but did not think I could do much about it except wash away some of the colour to make them less prominent.


I then used various dark colours and some pen work to give me a base to the painting so that the clocks looked as if they were growing in a field and I was finished.



When I got home, and propped the painting up in the studio I was still very unhappy about the RH side of the painting, but I really liked the three dandelion clock, although they are much more delicate than lots that I usually paint, so I decided that it was time for a cropping!

I simply removed a section of the RH side and a little from the top and bottom to keep the proportions about right, and then gently washed away any dark seed areas in the sky which partially remained in the picture.

Although not perfect, I think this has made the painting a much 'prettier' image and more successful as a composition despite losing the really dark area at the bottom which is a pity.



For some reason the photo looks a bit washed out but I think the general idea is still there, and in a frame it seems ok, but not one I will be hanging on the wall at home.

I have a feeling that 'Tried hard but could do better' is an appropriate comment.

Next week its 'Winter Flowers' so I am looking forward to that!

13 comments:

  1. I have no idea how you did painted this.Really,really beautiful.Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hani Hani, you are welcome to any thing I do. Very happy to share

      Delete
  2. einfach wundervoll - bin begeistert, die zartheit ist unglaublich, ich habe keine ahnung wie man das so schön malen kann
    liebe grüße maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Maria, for your lovely comments

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a very tricky painting to do and having seen the way you created the dandelion heads, with an intricate web of masking then some! I also love the yellow, red and blue triad of the painting especially the unframed example.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. I really enjoy tackling these clocks, and surprisingly, they sell well too.I love the delicacy that I have managed to achieve this time.

      Delete
  5. I've spent a bit of time comparing these two images and have decided that I prefer the first uncropped picture. I enjoy the flying seeds and the broader value range created by the darks that have been removed. Do you find it difficult to create fine lines when using masking fluid? My inability to get fine lines with making fluid is the reason that I rarely use it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Mick. You are right, the image is much better with the darks, but the flying seeds did seem too clumsy to leave in. With regard to the fine lines, I use a drawing pen which can be adjusted to width. With it very fine, you can get lovely delicate lines, but usually only one with each dip in the masking fluid, so it takes forever, and you do have to keep cleaning the pen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your patience was rewarded, such a difficult subject. I did like the movement in the first picture, and quite honestly I couldnt choose between the two (perhaps the seeds were a bit too heavy on recollection). Be interesting to see what winter flowers you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Polly. Reading viewers comments does help one to look more objectively at ones work, so thank you for taking the time. I am only sorry that the second photo is a bit washed out.The original looks a bit punchier than that. Have bought a pot of Hellebores, so I will see what I can do with those!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved the first one to bits. I think is perfect in intensity and detail. Seeds are how they actually supposed to be , it's a pity you had to ruin it washing out the colors and framing it...you say you sell them..how much will this be , but just a picture of the original? I would like to publish it as an illustration for my poems. thank you

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you like it, but I just need to say that in these blogs, the colour density varies depending on when I have to take the photos and the light conditions. In this case, the final photograph is quite pale in comparison to the reallity of the original. I hope this did not spoil any enjoyment in reading the post.
    Please use the image with your poetry, but do please add my name to the finished piece, and in future continue to seek my permission if anything else appeals to you. It would be lovely top see the painting and poem together if you could e mail me the image. The original painting was sold almost as soon as it was put on display at the following exhibition,

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a lovely surprise! I did not expect it to be honest, thank you ! I have read and viewed some parts of your blog and I find it funny and educational. you got so much passion that is contagious! I will enclose your name at the beginning pages where are all the details about the book.I will take pictures so you can see and I will actually give you more details about all when is ready, hopefully soon. Oh , yes I have found another beautiful painting in your blog ..something with ''field poppies'' . I would love to use that too with your permission. please note down your e-mail for me. thank you again for the dandelions, have a peaceful week-end!

    ReplyDelete